Sunday, January 20, 2008

The sweet life

My sister I believe makes one of the best Yema.
Yema is the Spanish word for ‘egg yolk’. Giving a little twist to it by adding pure condensed milk, Yema is known in the Philippines as custard candy.
I’m helping my sister earn extra income by selling these Yema’s in the office. This week, my officemates have been asking me about the Yema. The problem was, my brother-in-law bought cheap condensed milk and as a result, my sister cooked a subs-standard Yema that she did not want to sell. Talk about quality!
Today, she was able to cook the high-standard one:

Here’s a trivia I got from The Pilgrim’s Pots and Pans:

Back when there was still no cement, indigenous materials were used. A lime mixture (compounds of calcium, not the citrus) combined with egg shells and egg whites, among others was applied to the walls to make it more durable. One can imagine how many thousands of eggs were used for one massive building. Since only the whites were used, the egg yolks had to be utilised as well. Thus we have various egg-based recipes, mostly desserts, such as leche flan and yemas.

UPDATE:

Geez, I was wrong. The Yema was not perfect. Nah, it was not my sister’s fault. Her hubby took charge of the cooking and it was disaster! I’m sorry officemates but this sister of mine does not want to tarnish her reputation.


Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

Thanks for commenting on my PH post. :)