Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The UP Centennial (1908-2008)

Exactly a week ago, the year long commemoration of the University of the Philippines' (UP) centennial has started.
It kicked off with the motorcade from UP Manila, which is the first UP campus established, and ended at UP Diliman. It was joined by representatives from different UP campuses such as UP Baguo (my Alma Mater), UP Los BaƱos, UP Clark, UP Visayas and UP Mindanao.
Being an Ivy L
eague school in our country, UPians (people who study and studied at UP) are fond of making jokes making UP of course as the invincible of all. And that UPians are second to none. I don't know if it's a secret, but I’m guilty of it we loved to mock other schools back in the day when we were students. But not anymore. I and my fellow alumni, I believe, have matured. I’m speaking for myself here, UP is not the only school producing the cream of the crop.

Anyway, I got this message first via text last year from fellow UP alumnus. My comment was, Woohoo, UP airheads strike again! So when I saw this banner from a fraternity brother's Friendster account, I was brought to thinking, is this really a slogan? Or is it still some form of a joke?
Like for example in our team, we felt that one of our team leader's unwritten qualifications in recruiting members for our team is that the person has to be a UP graduate. She's a UPian herself. Of course she won’t admit it. Har-har. Oh well, she bent her standard a little because we are so under manned. She hired 1 from De La Salle and 2 from Miriam College but still the team is UP dominated.

Peace!
Add to Technorati Favorites

0 comments: