Sunday, January 13, 2008

Modern day child rearing

Last week, my friend, his boyfriend and I watched Sakal, Sakali, Saklolo, a sequel to Kasal, Kasali, Kasalo.I just found it funny how they attacked the reality in child rearing nowadays.Tagalog or Filipino (which some claim as the politically correct term) is our mother tongue although some parents speak to their children in English and in school, English is the language used in teaching.

The busy couple in the movie relied on their pre-schooler son's yaya in taking care of him while they were away.
The parent decided to speak to their child in Tagalog since they believed that the child will learn English in school. The mother-in-law contradicted it insisting that they should speak to their son in English. Funny thing was, when the yaya spoke to the child in Bisaya (her native dialect) the child was able to answer back and converse fluently in Bisaya. Of course the mother-in-law was so shocked!
In the Filipino settings, you don't have to be rich to get a nanny or a domestic help. Usually, couples hire a nanny to babysit their children while they are at work.
Take for example at home. My sister and brother-in-law are both working so their 2 daughters are left in the company of Manang. Manang is not a stay-in nanny. Which means she goes home at night and reports at work before 7 am. Usually, Manang takes her day off one Sunday a month.
The youngest who's a year and 4 months old is so attached to Manang. This morning I was awakened by the loud screaming of our toddler. I found out that it's Manang's day off causing the irritable mood of our toddler. She won’t let her mom put her in her crib and she just clung to her mom the whole day today.
Well, Manang is so attached also to our toddler that she went to see her late this afternoon. We were really surprised to see how our toddler became so bubbly running around the house as soon as Manang entered the house.
I know that it's not economically wise but it just makes me think, which is more important, staying home for your child at all times or choosing to stay away from him/her for a while and let him/her identify a parent figure to someone else while you are trying to earn money to provide for her?

Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

Liz said...

Hay naku ang mga bata talagang ganyan. I remember when my kids were toddlers ganyan din sila sa mga yaya nila, paminsan parang nagseselos na rin ako.

Thanks for you comment ha, dito pwede mo check PR mo http://www.rankwidget.com/. Malay mo no, ako rin naman hindi ko akalain na me ranking na pala ako hehe. Thanks again and take care.

Btw, I'll add you to my blogroll huh. Sa parehong blog ko, http://mlizcochico.com

Anonymous said...

Well, I think that is when quality time should enter.I am always out of the house but when I got home, I am still the superstar in my son's eyes.