Friday, November 30, 2007

Standing off then backing down

Yesterday seemed to be an ordinary day until I've got a text from my sister that there's chaos at the Manila Peninsula.

It turned out that there's an attempt to stage coup d' etat against the current administration
I'm sure that you've heard. The Philippines is again on top of the news worldwide.
I am not interested in politics. I
MAO, it's like a dog and pony show but the Trillanes standoff alarmed me a bit when President GMA imposed a curfew effective 12:00 mn last night despite the backing down of Trillanes' troupe.
I work for a telecoms' company'
s call center and the people whose shift were supposed to end at 1:00 am were sent home at 10:00 pm to beat the curfew.
I was like, is it the start of Martial Law? Though I wasn't born yet at the peak of Martial Law in the 70s, the thought of reinstating this kinda made me feel scared.

It's a good thing that the curfew was lifted at 5:00 am today and everything seems to be normal.
Business as usual.
If there's one good thing that this whole brouhaha has brought, it's this:

The caption on inquire.net reads: ‘PICTURE, PICTURE.’ A group of Singaporean tourists poses in front of the bullet- riddled Manila Peninsula hotel Friday, a day after government forces quelled an attempted uprising by a group led by Senator Antonio Trillanes IV, who demanded that President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo step down. AFP/LUIS LIWANAG

Mabuhay! Welcome to the Philippines!
Ayus! (Alright!)

0 comments: