Tuesday, November 27, 2007

How do I say this gently?

Manang Esther is very industrious, courteous, obedient, funny yet kind house help/nanny.
While I no longer drool over signature clothes, I make it a point that every piece of clothing that I have is well taken care of. When I was still living alone, I hand wash most of my blouses and undergarments but when I moved into my ate's house, I 'd let Manang do my laundry (for a fee of course). My hats off to her because she can make my white clothes sparkling white. But man, it's not only the white clothes that she can make sparkling white but even the colored ones! Hahaha what a talent!
I don't know what she's doing with my clothes but all the knitted, ribbed and spandex are seem to be hanging loose on me lately (maybe I just lost weight) while my upper padded undergarments seem to look like an infant's head with sunken fontanels or dimples, whatevs!
So before it's overly too late, I decided to just pitch into my hamper all the soiled clothes where she can displace her anger to (if she has) or sublimate her frustration in. All other delicate clothes and under garments, i put on a chair behind my room's door. I thought she would not notice, but when I got home from work last Sunday, I noticed that she changed my bed sheet and next thing I know, she took the liberty of washing the stuff on the chair! Not the blouses at least. Did I mention she's industrious? (har-har)
Last night, I went out of my room with two newly-bought blouses in my hands and as I was going out to the laundry area she asked: Anung gagawin mo diyan? (what are you going to do with those?). I said, lalabhan ko (I'm gonna wash it). She said: ako na (i'll do it). I said: ako na iha-handwash ko. She said: O sige ako na bukas (I'll handwash it tomorrow). And I gave in.


This afternoon, I phoned home from the office and spoke with her. I gave her special instructions not squeeze or scrub the blouse and she said yes.
Then I got home, I ate, watched TV and then went inside my room. Lo and behold! my blouses are on the hanger in my room. I literally felt the blood rush to my face. My extra small blouse looks extra large. I tried to touch the fabric and pull a little. The spandex is no longer a spandex.
Waaahhhh!!!!!!
She followed my instructions. She did not squeeze or scrub the blouses. Obedient.
But what I forgot to tell her is to iron them on low temperature. My bad!
There are three things happened today that would make me the shallowest person ever lived if I continue to rant on the now sleep shirt (at least the other one is still A-Ok):

1. Another Pinay's death sentence upheld in Kuwait
2. Tropical depression "Lando" hit metro manila and nearby provinces while "Mina" death toll rises to 17; 4 others still missing
3. An earthquake rocked Luzon this afternoon

So I guess, I would just have to call this a day.
Haaayy, I hope everyone's safe out there.

2 comments:

Jean Chia aka Ms.Yummy~licious said...

omg, i would have been so mad & frustrated with myself for letting her wash the blouse. It was such a lovely blouse. I am so sry you. Well, at least now you are well aware that you must not let her do the laundry or detailed instructions must be given.

Jean Chia

poor man's nicole richie said...

hahaha...she's so kind I can't afford to be mad at her.
i have learned my lesson.
thanks jean!