Thursday, April 24, 2008

Quitter!

I used to smoke. I am not ashamed of it but I am neither proud.
I started in college and went on until my Yuppie days. I am not a chronic smoker though. I can last a week without a single puff but there were days that I can finish a whole pack.
I know that nicotine is an addictive substance but I'm glad that I did not get hooked to it.
I decided to get a cold turkey in September 2006. Heath reasons.
I was having palpitations. Chill out for me then was a good chat with friends over venti size coffee and lots of cigs.
Until one early morning, while waiting for a cab, I passed out. My heart was pounding as if it wanted to get out of my chest. I still remember that I told Ian then that I felt dizzy. Next thing i know, I was clinging to him on the sidewalk.
Not a nice scene to see. The first thought that came into my mind when I aroused....my purse, sitting on the dirty pavement. Of course I did not verbalize it for I might suffer from whiplash effect if Ian smacked me in the head with my purse. LOL.
The following day, I had to submit myself for an EKG and the attending noted some dysrrythmias. He asked for a cardio consult and the cardiologist got an ultrasound of my heart. I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation. Now I am on Inderal forever.
Although there's no direct relationship between smoking and mvp, I just decided to quit smoking. For a fact, as a nurse, I know that nicotine is a health hazard.
Ian and I were chatting earlier. He said he wants to quit smoking too because his lips are getting darker. Okay so I did not argue. As long as he quits, I'm fine with it.
He was asking if he would go cold turkey like me or he'll quit gradually. He said he wants the former.
So good luck Ian.
Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

congrats on being a quitter, i did it cold turkey over 2o years ago. Have you noticed how bad smokers smell?

Jan Parrish said...

Congratulations. You'll find that your nose will be more sensitive and thing will taste better as well as all the other health benefits.

Lynn said...

Hmmm, have to repost as I got disconnected while trying to publish my comment.

Anyway, I was saying I totally stopped smoking about 2-3 years ago. I started really young, like high school but I was never a chain smoker. There are no benefits in smoking. Hurray to you for going cold turkey!

LYNN