Sunday, December 9, 2007

Heads or Tails

I have decided to take the Tails - Anything in or under the water.
Basically, marine life is the first that I could think of apart from remains of sunken ships, gardens and cemeteries (?) such as this:

The Christ of the abyss
As I browsed through the web, I was amazed by this unusual sight (for me at least)
Rajan is a full-grown male elephant. A 57-year-old tusker Asian elephant, Rajan once worked as a laborer in the Andamans’ logging industry. The story is that he was taught to swim by a female companion, who later succumbed to a cobra bite. After a long mourning period in which he refused to swim, Rajan eventually took the plunge again. When logging was banned in the area, Rajan found a nice retirement arrangement at the resort. (Jewels In the Crown)

Add to Technorati Favorites

20 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

Great shots hat are unusual and very interesting!

Thanks for visiting...

jenn said...

As an elephant freak, I love, love, love these pictures and story!

Andree said...

You don't hear too many happy-ending elephant stories anymore. So thank you. I was braced for the worst when I began reading it. It was, gratefully, a pleasure. The photos are so great.

Dallas Meow said...

wow
I have never seen anything like that!

Natalie said...

That's really neat! I've never seen anything like it.

My Heads or Tails is up too! :)

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love those shots of the ellie swimming! I'm an other elephant freak.. :D

My HorT Here!

smarmoofus said...

That's really cool! Thanks for sharing those really neat photos! I'll have to remember this post for the next time my niece comes over. She loves heffalumps (thank Pooh for that). I'm up here.

Hootin Anni said...

VERY interesting!!!!!!

I chose "Up in the Sky" this week....

Bloggers said...

I just love elephants and these photos are just beautiful.

Unknown said...

I would love to dive sites of sunken ships and cemetaries....but will never be able to, so I love to see pictures. Great take on the theme, mine is live.

Misty DawnS said...

What an awesome post! Loved the photos. This is SO cool!

Rambler said...

nice shots... so many fascinating things under water.

poor man's nicole richie said...

Thank y'all for liking my take on the Tails. I, too, went breathless the first time I saw the pix.
See you next time!

Barb said...

That is so cool! I'm glad he got a happier life.

(If he can swim at his size, maybe I could.. lol)

Anonymous said...

Those are great shots and that is a very fascinating story.

Happy Tuesday
Vixen
http://vixensden.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Fabulous post, loved the picutures

Mine is up

Cariboo Ponderer

Amanda said...

oh great photos. mine is here:

http://www.mommymandy.com/2007/12/heads-or-tails.html

Hey it's Amy Benson said...

I really like the photos on this one. Excellent choice!
<3, Amy in AZ

Siani said...

Wow - truly amazing pics. Whenever I've seen elephants in water, I always assumed they were wading, not swimming. Thanks for thw visit - happy Tuesday!

SandyCarlson said...

The elephant photo story and pictures got me! Wow. Thanks for sharing that.