Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The dirty job

"S.E.R.V.I.C.E. is an important component of the Smart Communities Program, providing Smart employees an array of choices in rendering community service."

For three years, I have been wanting to use my community service leave to take part in our community service program.
Finally, I was able to get a slot. Good thing my teammates have ran out of leave credits. hahaha
It was last Friday when we headed to Ipo Dam in Bulacan to plant trees.
Ipo Dam is one of the three water reservoirs that provde water supply to Metro Manila.This watershed covers 6,600 hectares in Norzagaray and San Jose del Monte, Bulacan.
Thirty percent of the Ipo watershed is deforested due to illegal logging and mining.
About two hours bus ride from Manila, we reached the site around 9:00 a.m.

We took the 20-minute boat ride to the planting site.
It was really calming.
We reached the site, we (16 employees) grouped into to and went on planting.
It rained the previous day so the soil was wet and muddy. It was nto sunny which was a great thing but still I really sweat like I hit the gym.
We were able to plant 1058 seedlings.
I just wish they would all turn into trees.

For the past couple of days, I have been trying to post some pictures for this entry but blogspot seems to be buggy. Since this is long overdue, I have decided to post in anyway and I will just try to paste on some pictures.


Add to Technorati Favorites

0 comments: