Monday, July 5, 2010

She is gone

I was the charge nurse that night.
We are preparing for her expiration as the doctor ordered to consume the ongoing dopamine drip. A part of her DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order. Her family refused giving of medications, feeding via nasogastric tube and conduction of any other tests.
She was hooked to cardiac monitor to check on her cardiac rhythm.
Her dopamine drip was consumed.
At 10:00 pm the monitor showed widened QRS complex with cardiac rate spiking at 150s beats per minute and her blood pressure was 80 mmHg palpatory. Her pupils were dilated and non-reactive to light.
I was fighting my tears but I could not.
She totally lost pulse and heart rhythm became flat line.
At 11:06 p.m. she was pronounced dead due to multiple organ failure.
I began to sob when her son, an elderly doctor, told me: Your grandmother has left you already.
Mrs. C born on March 10, 1915 and died July 3, 2010 has lived her life to the fullest.
She was admitted on August 1, 2008 and has been in and out of the medical ICU.
We shall miss you Lola!


Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

I whish I had know Lola, I think she must have been a wonderful lady.